[Insight-users] Advices on 3D registration

Nic itk at fete.ch
Tue Jun 19 04:02:22 EDT 2007

Hello,
    I would like to register 2 images stacks from one sample (confocal
microscope, 1 channel only, nucleus staining). Each stack corresponds to one
side of the sample, one scan was made from the top and the other from the
bottom, each scan was made until a little past the middle of the sample, in
order to have in each stack a small common sub-volume I could use for
registering them (each common volume have around 10-20 µm deep, each stack
can be 60-80 µm deep); the overlapping part is thus at the bottom of each
stack. Nucleus are perfectly stained, well shaped and well separated.
I'm currently adapting the "Rigid transform in 3D" (8.6.4), trying to
initialize the transform with a z translation of the moving stack in order
to have both overlapping sub-volume a little bit registerated; I'm allowing
too loading Tiff image stacks, with correct spacing and origin.
According to my acquisition protocol, it is probably possible to neglect
rotations, or at least to consider only the rotation in the x-y plane (and
this one could be perhaps approximated with microscope's value on scanfield
rotation, and a mirroring calculation): should be it a solution to force
optimisation for versor with a very small step and for translation a greater
step (tuning is on optimizerScales no ?) ? Or is it possible to use another
transform that only make 3D translations ?
The idea is finally to have both stacks merged, one stack unchanged, and
increased by a resampled version of the other from the bottom of the
unchanged stack until the top of the resampled other stack; z-stepsize are
same. Is there a way to do it easily ? I think the ImageRegistration8.cxx
(code of Rigid transform in 3D" (8.6.4) example) do a resampling at end for
the moving 3D image, but it seems to me it only apply transformation to the
moving image but don't merge the fixed and moving images.. Or did I miss
something ?
Thanks a lot in advance ! nic