[Insight-users] PointSetToImage Registration question

Dirk Hollstein dirk.hollstein at hsu-hh.de
Mon Mar 5 15:05:46 EST 2007

Hello List,

we want to register arbitrary point data acquired from a microscribe
digitizer with data from an stl-file (stereo-lithography). We collect
the data by sampling surface points on the real world object. The stl-
file describes our real world object (a cuboid). We did look at the
examples for PointSetToImageRegistrationTest_1 and
ModelToImageRegistration2, which we hope are appropriate for the kind
of registration we want to do.

Still we have several problems we could not solve ourselves and
kindly ask your support for:

- How can we extract the necessary PointSet data from the stl-file
for registration (assuming PointSet is the way to go)? Currently we
read the stl-file with VTK.

- How can we get this data into ITK for registration?

- Do we have to process the stl file before we are able to register
it, e.g. by applying a certain filter to it?

- Is there a way to read an STL-file directly into ITK?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Many regards,
Dirk