[Insight-users] How to get smallest pixel and largest pixel value in DICOM

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Sun Mar 11 10:39:09 EST 2007

On 3/10/07, K. Subburaj <subburaj at iitb.ac.in> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How to extract the smallest and largest pixel values from DICOM images. i
> tired to get using dicomIO->GetValueFromTag("0028|0106",...). But i ended
> with error saying value not present in DICOm images.

Hi Subbu,

  Smallest Image Pixel Value (0028,0106) is simply a Type 3, thus you
can pretty much assume it will *not* be present in the DICOM file.

  I would suggest instead using one of the ITK filter to compute the min/max, eg
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1MinimumMaximumImageFilter.html

HTH
-Mathieu

Ref: