[Insight-users] need help using itk with python

E Anderson eranders at sci.utah.edu
Fri Mar 16 18:19:20 EST 2007

Gaetan,
    I am also having problems getting ITK and WrapITK to work in the new
3.2 release.  After building the new version exactly as I had with 3.1,
I get the following error regardless of any path information (PYTHONPATH
or LD_LIBRARY_PATH).

 >>> import itk
 >>> dir(itk.Image)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/InsightToolkit/WrapITK/Python/itkLazy.py", line
18, in __getattribute__
    itkBase.LoadModule(module, namespace)
  File "/usr/local/lib/InsightToolkit/WrapITK/Python/itkBase.py", line
77, in LoadModule
    LoadModule(dep, namespace)
  File "/usr/local/lib/InsightToolkit/WrapITK/Python/itkBase.py", line
85, in LoadModule
    if not swigModuleName in sys.modules: module =
loader.load(swigModuleName)
  File "/usr/local/lib/InsightToolkit/WrapITK/Python/itkBase.py", line
192, in load
    return imp.load_module(name, fp, pathname, description)
  File "/usr/local/lib/InsightToolkit/WrapITK/lib/VXLNumericsPython.py",
line 33, in ?
    from vcl_complex import *
  File "/usr/local/lib/InsightToolkit/WrapITK/lib/vcl_complex.py", line
5, in ?
    import _vcl_complex
ImportError: No module named _vcl_complex

I cannot reproduce this problem in version 3.1, however, I've noted it
is present in both 32 and 64 bit builds, and the build process yielded 0
errors.  It seems that it may have something to do with the 'make
install' command as I had the environment working until I tried to
install it (after setting the appropriate env. variables to reflect this)

Thank you,
Erik Anderson