[Insight-users] How to Display Displaying Images

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Mar 17 20:04:28 EST 2007

Hi Alireza,

      ITK is not intended for displaying image.

The functionality of displaying images is
usually obtained from the following sources:

1) There is a viewer application in

     InsightApplications/ImageViewer

    it requires you to install FLTK 1.1.6

2) You could use VTK.

    an Example of how to visualize images
    with VTK and ITK are available at:

      InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk/
                  itkReadITKImageShowVTK.cxx

3) You could use Slicer:  www.slicer.org

    you can get the source code of slicer,
    or download a binar build.

4) If you are dealing with 2D image and using
    formats such as PNG, TIFF, JPEG, you could
    use GIMP, or ImageMagick, or the default
    viewers of most Linux and Windows installations.
    (if you are managing patient data we strongly
     discurage you from adopting this option).