[Insight-users] Registration with ITK and a MicroScribe Digitizer

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Mar 27 08:55:40 EST 2007

Hi Dirk,

That sounds like a very interesting problem.

Here are some comments:

1) Converting VTK point set to ITK Point Set:

    Option A:

    Once you read the STL file with VTK you can
    write it down as a VTK file and read it with
    the new class:

         Insight/Code/Review
            itkVTKPolyDataReader.h
            itkVTKPolyDataReader.txx

    Option B:

    You can convert the VTK polydata into an ITK
    point set by using the code in:

      InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk
                   vtkPolyDataToITKMesh.cxx

2) You don't really need to preprocess the point
    set before performing the registration,
    unless you have so many points that it is
    worth to subsample the point set.  If you
    have less than 20,000 points and a decent
    computer, then you shouldn't need to subsample.

    It is a matter of balancing computation time
    and registration precision and stability.

3) Nope,
    there is not a way of reading an STL file
    directly into ITK.