[Insight-users] How to find information about ITK and isosurfaces

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Mar 27 16:45:28 EST 2007

Hi Catherine:

1) "Where the pixel intensities for the image are stored?"

    They are stored in the image buffer, you get access to
    it by using the GetPixel() method or by using Iterators

    Please read the ITK Software Guide:

      http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

    in particular Section 4.1 "Image" in pdf-page 67.

    GetPixel() is very slow compared to Iterators.

    So you may want to use Iterators. Please read the
    ITK Software Guide, Section 11.2 "Image Iterators"
    in pdf-page 738.

2) "What type the pixel intensities are ?"

    They have the pixel type that you gave them
    when you instantiated the image:

    For example:

    typedef itk::Image< unsigned short, 3 > ImageType;

    will be an image of pixel type "unsigned short".

    Please read the Tutorials:

      http://www.itk.org/HTML/Tutorials.htm

    In particular:

http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/GettingStartedI-WebPage/index.htm

3)  "how they are passed into the isosurfacing part of ITK ?"

    You pass your image as input to the "BinaryMask3DMeshSource" filter

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1BinaryMask3DMeshSource.html

    The output will be an ITK mesh.

    This filter is an impplementation of the marching cubes algorithm.

Please read the introductory documentation to ITK.
It will save you a lot of time down the line.