[Insight-users] VTK + FLTK

Ruben Schilling r.b.schilling at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 29 08:11:11 EST 2007

Hi all,

I would like to add GUI controls etc. to my ITK+VTK based program. I
intend to use FLTK for this. Unfortunatly I can not figure out how to
do this from the GettingStarted Tutorials. In particular I would like
to solve this issue:

Integrate the functionality of vtkImageViewer2 to a Fl_Window
(actually I want multiple vtkImageViewer2's in one Fl_Window)

Thus I need to integrate the vtkImageViewer2 (I know, it's a wrapper
around etc.) into the Fl_Window. I have the vtkFlWindowInteractor
ready for handling user interaction. My problem is, that for example
the SetRenderWindow method of vtkRenderer does naturally not accept a
Fl_Window. Thus I can not just do

*viewer = vtkImageViewer2::New ();
viewer -> SetRenderWindow (myFlWindow);

I have read many times, that this should be possible, but I can not
seem to figure out just how. The classes provided by the vtkFltk
package seem to be outdated and thus do not work with vtk 5.0.2 (what
I am using).

I would be grateful for advice on this. It seems to be a problem some
users could face and seems to be solvable.

Best regards
Ruben