[Insight-users] gradientdescentoptimizer scales

Elena Pavlovskaia elena.pavlovskaia at otismed.com
Fri Mar 30 12:33:29 EST 2007

Hi Felix,

I am not a prof in ITK, yet I have experience with
itkRegularStepGradientDescentOptimizer
in BSpline registration. Here is what I think.

You need to set one scale for each of your parameters.

Your number of parameters 338 = 2 * 13 * 13 makes me to think that you are
using
2D images and the spline total grid size = 13 in every dimension. Splines
always
have 3 border points in every dimension. This means that your grid size on
image
is 10 * 10, because 13 = 3 + 10.

If your spline grid sizes are indeed as I calculated, then you need to
specify
the same number (338) of scales. Else you need to fix your spline settings.

Elena

--------------------------------------
[Insight-users] gradientdescentoptimizer scales
Felix Bollenbeck bollen at ipk-gatersleben.de
Thu Mar 29 08:05:04 EST 2007

----

Hi all,
i want to use a gradient descent optimizer for bspline registration
(LBFGS optimizer fails during linesearch)

vnl_lbfgs: ** EEEK **
 IFLAG= -1  LINE SEARCH FAILED.

i want to use simple gradientdescent for a start to see whats happening.

i assume that itkRegularStepGradientDescentOptimizer has scales for each
dimension and these are max 128 large and identity.

The size of Scales is 128, but the NumberOfParameters for the
CostFunction is 338.

which means I have to pass a larger scales vector to the optimizer?

regards,

felix.