[Insight-users] understanding vnl_amoeba

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue May 1 19:10:06 EDT 2007

Hi Katya,

Yes, your expectation is correct.

The final value of the optimizer should be lower than the initial value.

Did the optimizer terminated with any error value ?

For how many iterations did the optimizer run before stoppping ?

What may be happening in your case it that the optimizer may not
have converged to a solution, and/or that it may have gone out
of the valid domain of your cost function.

In ITK, the wrapper around the vnl_amoeba optimizer allows you to
connect observers to it, so that you can track the values of the
optimizer at every iteration.

You may find useful to implement a similar monitoring mechanism
in order to debug your optimization.