[Insight-users] Fuzzy K-Means / C-Means

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue May 1 19:47:47 EDT 2007

Hi Tina,

I assume that you are referring to Fuzzy C-Means:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_clustering#Fuzzy_c-means_clustering

We don't have currently in ITK an implementation of
Fuzzy C-Means clustering

The algorithm was proposed as an addition to ITK during the recent
users-survey:

        http://www.itk.org/Wiki/2006_Survey_Summary

You may be able to modify the classes in the existing Statistics
framework of ITK in order to implement the Fuzzy c-means method,
but that will require to study the classes in the Statistics directory,
and it will certainly require familiarity with C++ programming.

Most of the basic components are already available in ITK.
E.g. the membership classes, distance computation, and classifier.
An additional component would be required for computing the
membership of every value to a particular class.

Please note that we are currently refactoring this directory and
the structure of the classes may change in subsequent releases.

For details on the refactoring of the Statistics Framework,
please look at:

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Proposals:Refactoring_Statistics_Framework_2007