[Insight-users] Testing Robustness of Registration

Olivier Salvado olivier.salvado at case.edu
Sat May 5 09:06:45 EDT 2007

hello Isabelle,

There is a big difference between the two approaches that you suggest (I may
be wrong because I don't know exactly the itk implementation). If you write
an image at a new location, you will have to interpolate. Since
interpolation is filtering, you will in fact filter the new image that you
want to register. Once you find the correct parameters you will interpolate
a second time, thus filtering twice. Whereas by starting with random
parameters you will not do the first filtering step, only the second.
	Results between the two might differ depending on the frequency
content of your image and the kind of interpolation used.

	Another thing you want to consider. is that in real life, even if
the two images are the same, the noise is different. You should thus add
different noise after generating two images before trying to register them,
otherwise you will register the noise as much as the image. Since the noise
correlation is very high for zero misregistration, you will get an
artifactual high maximum at zero on your similarity measure (x-correlation,
mutual information, ...) that will take over any maximum from the image
content.

for more details you may want to look at our recent paper on that subject:
salvado and wilson, "Removal of local and biased global maxima in
intensity-based registration", Medical Image Analysis April 2007, 11(2).

Olivier

Olivier Salvado, PhD
Case Western Reserve University | Case Center for Imaging Research
University Hospitals of Cleveland | Department of Radiology | Wearn B49
11100 Euclid Av. | Cleveland, OH 44106
Ph. (216) 983 3426 | Fax: (216) 844 4987