[Insight-users] GettingStarted-II: cannot find -lvtk

Catherine Peloquin cepeloquin at gmail.com
Tue May 8 14:36:38 EDT 2007

I am attempting to familiarize myself with integrating VTK and ITK by
following the example located in GettingStarted-II in the tutorials.  I
built VTK as instructed and have all of the libraries listed in the
tutorial.  Then I copied the files itkImageToVTKFilter.txx and
itkImagetoVTKFilter.h into the directory itk2vtk, where I also created the
files CMakeLists.txx and itk2vtk.cxx, which contain the example code.

I was able to generate the makefile using ccmake, but when I attempt to
build the executable using gmake, I get the error message "/usr/bin/ld:
cannot find -lvtk".

I am using version 3.2.0 of ITK and 5.0.3 of VTK on a Linux machine.  I was
able to build and execute the examples located in
InsightApplications/Auxillary/vtk.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why that library cannot be found?

Thank you,
Catherine