[Insight-developers] Re: [Insight-users] bad free() reading Signa images

Neil Weisenfeld neil at bwh.harvard.edu
Thu May 10 14:25:07 EDT 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 9:55 AM, kent williams wrote:

> This behavior is my fault, since GE4ImageIO was a conversion of
> code from
> the BRAINS2 application, which worked this way. I can understand
> how that
> would interact poorly with the ImageSeriesReader.

No worries -- If there's any real "bug" here, it's in
ImageSeriesReader which shouldn't be reading more than it has
allocated space for.

That said, richer documentation than the one-liner specified for
GE4ImageIO would have been helpful.

> It brings up an issue that has bothered me about how Image IO works
> in ITK:
> While it promises and delivers a fair amount of image format
> independence,
> it exposes the difference between monolithic image file formats and
> image
> formats that are built from a series of 2D image files.

I agree.  It's a little disappointing that there's a processing
dichotomy between "slice" and "volume" formats, but I normally assume
that any data in a slice format will be converted to a volume format
as a preprocessing step before any analysis.  Maybe people have a
desire or need to keep things in slice formats and unifying things
would be helpful.

Regards,
Neil