[Insight-users] Spline interpolation on irregular point set

Julien Michel julien.michel at c-s.cnes.fr
Fri May 11 11:05:04 EDT 2007

Dear itk users,

In one of our current developments, we have a set of points spread in
our image (irregularly and possibly at non-grid positions), and we did
approximate for each of this point the value of a given function thanks
to optimization.

Now we would like to use this set of points and values to interpolate a
map of this function superimposable to our image. That means, we want to
interpolate the value of this function at each pixel position of our
image, and this interpolation must be done using BSplines.

The ITK component the closest to our goal is the itk::KernelTransform
and its derived transforms. It performs exactly the interpolation we
want, but unfortunately, it performs it only on displacements (that
means translation in both directions) between target and source landmarks.

The solution we thought of would be to derive a new class from
itk::FunctionBase, called LankmarkInterpolateKernelFunction, which takes
as input a list of landmarks, their associated values, and provide the
interpolated value via the Evaluate method. This class would also
implement the methods from itk::KernelTransform specific to kernel
algorithms. I believe their would be almost nothing to change in these
methods. One could then derive the LandmarkInterpolateKernelFunction to
provide thin plate interpolation or any other Kernel based interpolation.

Anyway, this would duplicate quite a lot of code between the
KernelTransform classes tree and the LandmarkInterpolateKernelFunction
classes tree. This classes are already performing this interpolation on
the displacement between source and target landmarks, so they could
probably encapsulate the new interpolation function to avoid code
duplication.

Before starting the implementation of the
LandkMarkInterpolateKernelFunction in our project, we wanted to ask the
mailing list for feedback on this solution, since we may have miss a
point. Of course, if ITK is interested in these new classes we could
provide the code.

Thank you for your help and work,

Best regards,

Julien