[Insight-users] Using ITK for Motion Estimation

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun May 13 08:53:58 EDT 2007

Hi Swapnil,

You may want to look at the Demons deformable registration filter.
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1DemonsRegistrationFilter.html

This filter is based on the concept of Optical Flow, which is
commonly used as the base of motion detection algorithms.

If you take two consecutive frames from your video sequence and
pass them as fixed image and moving image to the Demons filter,
you will obtain as output a vector field that estimates the
directions in which the different elements of the image have
moved between both frames.

In this context you don't need to use the difference between two
images. Just the two frames themselves.

You will find a description of the Demons registration filter in
the ITK Software Guide

       http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

at the end of the Image Registration chapter.

Note that there are also other deformable registration methods
in ITK that you could use for motion estimation. In particular
the LevelSetMotionRegistrationFilter:
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1LevelSetMotionRegistrationFilter.html