[Insight-users] Re: Shrink Level Set

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat May 19 07:09:03 EDT 2007

Hi XueQuan,

1) Please don't confuse the implementation of the filters with
    the examples of the filters.

    The Example of the GeodesicActiveContours uses seed points
    to feed a *FastMarching* filter that provides an initial
    level set for the GeodesicActiveContours filter.

    The GeodesicActiveContours filter itself *do not* take seed
    points as input.

2) Level Sets will alwasy produce segmentations that are a bit
    before the actual edge of the object.

    In the case of the GeodesicActiveContours filter you can
    try to get closer to the border by increasing the weight
    of the Advection component. Note that for the weight to have
    a noticeable effect you have to make it 10x or 100x larger
    than the weight used for propagation or curvature.

    Note also that the Advection term is only useful when your
    levelset contour is *already* very close to the real boundary
    of the object that you are segmenting.