[Insight-users] itk::Image<itk::Vector, Dimension> vs itk::VectorImage<PixelType>

Julien Michel julien.michel at c-s.cnes.fr
Wed May 23 12:00:09 EDT 2007

Dear ITK users,

Lots of filters whose name begins with "Vector" (like
itk::VectorRescaleIntensityImageFilter for instance) are in fact
incompatible with itk::VectorImage. They need to be templated with an
itk::Image with an itk::Vector pixel type.

As far as we are concerned, we use the itk::VectorImage solution to
represent or multi-spectral data, since we don't want the number of
component to be set at compilation time. This leads us to complex (and
sometimes impossible) casting and casting back between the two types.

I was wondering if there is a way to make these vector filters
compatible with both representations.

I see two main issues causing the incompatibility (but I might have
missed some others) :
- One need to set the number of component by pixel to perform allocation
on VectorImage,
- There is no standard interface between itk::Vector and
itk::VariableLenghtVector to get the size of the vector for instance.

Do you think the two representations can be made compatible ? What is
currently the advised way in ITK to manipulate multi-spectral data ?

Thanks a lot for your work,

Best regards,

Julien