[Insight-users] LBFGS optimizer

Tomáš Kazmar Tomash.Kazmar at seznam.cz
Thu Nov 1 07:35:30 EDT 2007

Hi all,

  I use LBFGS optimizer in 2D image registration, optimizer parameters are set
to reasonable values and work for almost all images I need it to. The problem is
when optimization fails I would like to change parameters according to why
optimization failed. Is there any way how to get value of INFO variable that is
in the description of error?

vnl_lbfgs: ** EEEK **
 IFLAG= -1  LINE SEARCH FAILED. SEE DOCUMENTATION OF ROUTINE MCSRCH ERROR RETURN OF LINE SEARCH: INFO= 4 POSSIBLE CAUSES: FUNCTION OR GRADIENT ARE INCORRECT OR INCORRECT TOLERANCESExceptionObject caught !

itk::ExceptionObject (0x82bb5e8)
Location: "virtual void itk::LBFGSOptimizer::StartOptimization()"
File: /afs/ms/u/k/kazmt1am/BIG/diplo/itk/Insight/Code/Numerics/itkLBFGSOptimizer.cxx
Line: 263

Than it would be possible to rerun the optimization, eg. with larger step, smaller
step or changed tollerances.

I would appreciate any help.

Tomash