[Insight-users] Why itk::LBFGSBOptimizer and itk::LBFGSOptimizer are classed as single-variant optimisers?

Stefan Klein stefan at isi.uu.nl
Wed Nov 7 08:56:11 EST 2007

Hi,

The itk/vxl::LBFGS(B)Optimizer implementation IS multivariate. The
'multivariate' label refers to the number of variables (input arguments of
the cost function) over which is optimised.

the optimisaton problem is:

min_x f(x)

On the site http://www.alglib.net/optimization/  a multivariate
optimisation method means that dim(x) >1 is allowed.

The LBFGSOptimizer is not suitable for MultipleValuedCostFucnction, as far
as I know, only for SingleValuedCostFunctions.

singlevalued means: dim(f) = 1
multiplevalued means: dim(f) > 1

The vnl_cost_function indeed inherits from the vnl_unary_function, but the
vnl_unary_function is templated over a vector of doubles, which contains
the input argument x:

class vnl_cost_function : public vnl_unary_function<double,
vnl_vector<double> >

with kind regards,
stefan