[Insight-users] Why itk::LBFGSBOptimizer and itk::LBFGSOptimizer are classed as single-variant o

Ali - saveez at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 7 09:40:23 EST 2007

I guess Stefan is right. There is no such thing as vnl_multiple_valued_cost_function, hence, itk::LBFGSBOptimizer and itk::LBFGSOptimizer shouldn't have been classified as single-variant optimisers in ITK and they should be modified for accepting itk::MultipleValuedCostFunction.

>Hi,

>The itk/vxl::LBFGS(B)Optimizer implementation IS multivariate. The
'multivariate' label refers to the number of variables (input arguments
of the cost function) over which is optimised.

>the optimisaton problem is:

>min_x f(x)

On the site
http://www.alglib.net/optimization/
a multivariate optimisation method means that dim(x) >1 is
allowed.

The LBFGSOptimizer is not suitable for MultipleValuedCostFucnction, as
far as I know, only for SingleValuedCostFunctions.

singlevalued means: dim(f) = 1

multiplevalued means: dim(f) > 1

The vnl_cost_function indeed inherits from the vnl_unary_function, but
the vnl_unary_function is templated over a vector of doubles, which
contains the input argument x:

class vnl_cost_function : public vnl_unary_function<double,
vnl_vector<double> >

with kind regards,

stefan