[Insight-users] Re: Compiling error with ITK 3.4.0 on my MinGW platform

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Nov 9 15:33:29 EST 2007

Hi Ali,

> Even if there were no eroors, ITK under MinGW is not really useful
> right now, ITK is a big template-basd library and static-linking it
> to your binary will be a slow-long process.

I'm not quite sure the statement above makes sense.

1) Yes, ITK is an almost fully templated library

2) Whether you build it as shared or static library,
    a very small fraction of the code goes into that library

3) Most of the code of ITK is actually compiled when you
    compile your application, not when you build ITK.

The difference between using static or shared when building
ITK libraries, make that the linking time of your application
will change by a small fraction. Linking is in itself a small
fraction of the build time compared to compilation itself.