[Insight-users] Re: Compiling error with ITK 3.4.0 on my MinGW platform

Ali - saveez at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 10 10:48:27 EST 2007

Luis,

I remember trying to compile the demons registration example under MinGW and static-linking it to ITK - I think the exe file was something about 4 MB or so. Regardless of everything else, just think of the process in this way: the linker has to 'generate' a big binary file for static linking (a few MB) comparing to the shared linking version (of the order of 0.1 MB). This binary 'generation' is a slow one which you may not feel when compiling the shared-lib ITK once and linking against it many times. But it becomes a pain when you have to static-link your exe many times.

I did not do any profiling on this, but try the demons registration example, qualitatively, it felt like the linking time linearly increased with the output binary size.