[Insight-users] Re: binary erosion

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Thu Nov 29 01:58:59 EST 2007

Hi Mauro,

I didn't have time to try your 3D image yet :-/

Le 29 nov. 07 à 01:48, mauro maiorca a écrit :

> On Nov 24, 2007 12:15 AM, mauro maiorca <mauromaiorca at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi people,
>> I'm trying to perform erosion with itk, but unfortunately without any
>> luck. The strange thing is that there isn't any problem with
>> dilation.
>
> problem solved adding:
>
> binaryErode->SetBackgroundValue( 0 );
> binaryErode->SetForegroundValue( 255 );

>> binaryErode->SetKernel(  ball );
>> binaryErode->SetErodeValue( 255 );

This last line is equivalent to "binaryErode->SetForegroundValue
( 255 );". The implementation is:

   void SetErodeValue(const InputPixelType& value)
     { this->SetForegroundValue( value ); }

So the only difference seems to be "binaryErode->SetBackgroundValue
( 0 );", which should not explain the behavior you have.

What is the PixelType used in your code?

> hope it helps someone else: this thing was undocumented.
> It is incredibly slow, but probably switching to ITK 3.4 will solve
> the problem.

It will help: binary erosion/dilation filters had a bug in ITK 3.2
which was making them very slow, but wasn't affecting the result
(that's why we didn't found the bug with the tests).
http://itk.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/Code/BasicFilters/
itkBinaryMorphologyImageFilter.txx?root=Insight&r1=1.8&r2=1.9

> By the way, do you have any idea how to update just the
> erosion/dilation from 3.2 to 3.4 without reinstalling everything (it
> needs time, I want to postpone this)

just replace the file itkBinaryMorphologyImageFilter.txx in you
installation tree by itkBinaryMorphologyImageFilter.txx from ITK 3.4.

Gaëtan

--
Gaëtan Lehmann
INRA de Jouy-en-Josas (France)