[Insight-users] Level sets with curvature constraint

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Sep 2 10:00:01 EDT 2007

Hi Rashed,

   Yes,
   you can impose curvature constraints with ITK Level Sets.

However, they are not available in the FastMarching filter,
you will find them in the following filters:

  * ShapeDetection
  * GeodesicActiveContour
  * ThresholdLevelSetSegmentation
  * CannyLevelset
  * LaplacianLevelSet

Please read the ITK Software Guide:

     http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

in particular

Section 9.3    "Level Set Segmentation", pdf-pages 562-565
Section 9.3.2  "Shape Detection Segmentation", pdf-pages 573-608

You want to pay attention to the relative size of the

   * Propagation Weight
   * Curvature Weight

By increasing the curvature weight, you will prevent
the level set from entering narrow structures.