[Insight-users] Building ITK with Visual C++ 2005 Express - STL issues?

Milton Jonathan milton at cnps.embrapa.br
Tue Sep 4 14:29:32 EDT 2007

Hello,

I have been having some trouble attempting to build ITK using VC++ 2005
Express Edition (the free one). I guess I'm missing something since I
haven't seen any posts around reporting the kind of problem I've been
seeing. Just to let you know, I've just downloaded ITK v3.2.0, and as
required I have downloaded and installed the Platform SDK in order to
use it with VC++ Express.

In this context, I was able to use CMake (v2.4) to configue and generate
a valid solution file, but when attempting compilation I stumbled
upon hundreds of STL-related errors, which was surprising to me since
VC's STL is now fully ISO compliant and seems to work well. The errors
were all of the following types:

...Utilities\vxl\core\vnl/vnl_math.h(254) : error C2784:
'std::complex<_Ty> std::log(const std::complex<_Ty> &)' : could not
deduce template argument for 'const std::complex<_Ty> &' from
'float' ...\Include\crt\xcomplex(178) : see declaration of 'std::log'

with similar errors for 'std::pow', etc, followed by errors such as:

...utilities\vxl\vcl\vcl_cmath.h(71) : error C2653: 'std' : is not a
class or namespace name

Well, it seemed to me at first that there would be a problem with
'namespace std' not being correctly set or something like that, but
looking around it seemed to me that the line '# define
vcl_generic_cmath_STD std' was being appropriately compiled within the
files '...Utilities\vxl\vcl\iso\vcl_cmath.h', '...\vcl_cstddef.h', etc
(i.e., the compiler *is* trying to compile the code for ISO STL).
Anyway, I looked around for a while, didn't find a solution, and ended
up posting this message, especially since I'm not an STL expert.. :P

So, does anyone know what this problem is all about??

Thanks for any help you can give on this one
Milton

--

Milton Jonathan
Pesquisador