[Insight-users] Re: model-to-image fitting for gaussian images

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Sep 7 10:59:38 EDT 2007

Hi Ali,

1) By "Gaussian images" do you mean that the image has small sub regions
    where the spatial distribution of pixel intensities is Gaussian ?

2) Is there anything else in the image, in addition to these Gaussians ?

3) How diverse are the Gaussians ? do you have a range of sigmas that
    spans more than an order of magnitude ?

4) Are the Gaussians radially symmetric ?
    or do they form ellipsoids

5) What is the dimension of your image, 2D ?  3D ?

--

If the Gaussians are not very diverse, you could use a FFT transform
and filter them in Fourier space. That will be equivalent to doing

 From those locations you could estimate the sigma of each Gaussian
by integrating its intensity values from the top of the peak, down
to pixels with intensities > than peak / 3.0.  If you divide that
integral by the peak value, you will have a number that can be
correlated the sigma value. This has the advantage that you don't
have to "fit" a gaussian model to the small intensity patch.