[Insight-users] Re: Bug in bilateral filtering/ questions

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Sep 16 12:32:57 EDT 2007

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for reporting this problem.

However,
That line was fixed on July 24 2006:
http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Code/BasicFilters/itkBilateralImageFilter.txx?root=Insight&r1=1.27&r2=1.28

Please update your version of ITK.

----

About your questions,

1) One potential mechanism could be to use a Mahalanobis distance that
    takes into account the Gaussian distributions of all components.
    You may want to look at:

         Insight/Code/BasicFilters/
           itkVectorConfidenceConnectedImageFilter.h

    and the
         Insight/Code/Common/
            itkMahalanobisDistanceThresholdImageFunction.h

2) The paper that you refer

    http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel5/10755/33900/01617216.pdf

    "Color Image Diffusion Using Adaptive Bilateral Filter"
     Jun Xie; P.A. Heng
     27th Annual International Conference of the
     Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society,
     IEEE-EMBS. 2005 Page(s):3433 - 3436

    is *not* published in an Open Access journal,
    therefore we have trouble getting access to it.

    Is there an equivalent publication in an Open Access venue ?

    For example, IEEE allows authors to post copies of the
    papers in their institutional web sites, as long as they
    made clear that IEEE owns the copyright of the paper.

    Curiously,
    if we go to that web site and download the paper
    we will be committing copyright infringement,
    http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-digital.html#p2p
    so even that is rather an entrapment option.  :-/

    "Anyone found to have infringed a copyrighted work
     may be liable for statutory damages up to $30,000
     for each work infringed and, if willful infringement
     is proven by the copyright owner, that amount may be
     increased up to $150,000 for each work infringed.
     In addition, an infringer of a work may also be liable
     for the attorney's fees incurred by the copyright owner
     to enforce his or her rights."

    Please let us know if you know of another publication
    E.g. Journals using the Creative Commons licenses are
    certainly better options.