[Insight-users] Selecting the sigma for the vesselness

Chris McIntosh cmcintos.sfu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 18:56:40 EDT 2007

rashedk wrote:
> However, I dont understand one thing: Why did the author of the Manniseng
> VED's ITK implementation compare the VED filter responses to that of the
> multiscale vesselness response in his ITK journal paper? Link here:
> http://insight-journal.org/dspace/bitstream/1926/558/5/VEDArticle2.pdf

I can't speak for the authors, but I believe its because the VED filter was
originally presented as an improvement over the original frangi filter.

> Dont they do different things? VED enhances vessels whereas multiscale
> vesselness detects vessels?
> What I am trying to get at is, if VED does a better job than the standard
> vesselness filter, then how can we use it to detect vessels only.

Can you define more explicitly what you mean by detect? Do you want the
vessel radius for each vessel,
or a binary segmentation of the image into vessel and non-vessel, or an
image showing just the vessels (
the result of masking the image with a binary segmentation).

Thanks,

Chris