[Insight-users] Fast Marching Filter produces blank output

Charlotte Curtis curtisc at uoguelph.ca
Thu Sep 27 15:07:19 EDT 2007

I'm trying to implement the basic pipeline for the Fast Marching Filter (as
described in the ITK software guide) in MeVisLab, since it's the only
program I can find that doesn't hate my graphics card.  I am basically just
copying the sample application (FastMarchingLevelSet), which crashes every
time I try to run it, so I'm not sure what output I should expect.  I have
no problem with the gradient filter or the sigmoid filter - they produce
output comparable to the software guide, but when I run the fast marching
filter, I get a blank image with all voxels set to 1.70141e+38.  This
happens with all the different parameters I have tried.  Some general info:

- Image is CT of carpal bones, downsampled to 71 x 86 x 48 with cortical
bone at around 200 HU +
- I tried stopping values ranging from 0 to 1000
- I don't really know what the Normalization Factor and Speed Constants are,
but I've also tried them in the 0 to 1000 range

I tried to attach a screenshot, but it was too big for the listserv.  Any
help would be appreciated, thanks,

Charlotte