[Insight-users] Open science: Career investment?

Carlos Sánchez Mendoza carlos.sanchez.mendoza at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 15:26:45 EDT 2008

Dear insight users,

as a newbie in medical image processing I am aware of the importance
of initiatives such as open science and experiment reproducibility.

I am a big defender of useful research as opposed to publishable research.

My co-researchers keep on talking skeptical about insight journal,
open science and so on. They insist I need to do traditional
publishing in order to gain appropiate credentials for career
developing. They give much importance to index of impact regarding
publications.

I would like to know what Insight Journal's index of impact is, and
how useful it would be for a beginning scientist to get involved in
the open science movement, regarding his/her career expectations, from
a general point of view.

I am a firm believer. I have fought for introducing NA-MIC kit and
open science in my research environment with little success. I am
being discouraged by my mentors for the sake of traditional paper
publishing and career investing.

I hope the answer will help others as well, but am aware of the
difficulty of providing a response. Just wanted to start some
discussion on the topic.

Thank you very much.

Carlos S. Mendoza.