[Insight-users] GDCM crashes when reading some dicom images

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 09:40:50 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Jesús Spí­nola <jspinola at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Mathieu Malaterre
> <mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Jesús Spí­nola <jspinola at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> ITK
> > > CVS:

> read..."

> > > /cvsroot/Insight/Insight/Utilities/gdcm/src/gdcmJPEGFragmentsInfo.cxx,v
> > > > > >
> /cvsroot/Insight/Insight/Utilities/gdcm/src/gdcmPixelReadConvert.cxx,v

> but
> > > it

> /
> but
> Instead it
> comp.protocols.dicom,
> > > > > >

> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.dicom/browse_thread/thread/f07b8ffda372f4f7

> want
> ever
> note,
> machine).

> > > solve
> appropriatte

> does
> would

> the

> > > I generate the thumbnail based on this code:
> > > http://forum.dcmtk.org/viewtopic.php?t=120&highlight=pixmap
> > >
> > > I've made a dicom dump of the original image and surprisingly it
> contains
> > > the Pixel Data (7fe0,0010)! Maybe the ELSCINT1 compression is made by
> the
> > > philips sofware when anonymazing the images.
> > >
> > > So, beacause the anonymization by philips is introducing some errors
> that
> > > impede to check the real problem, I've attached an anonymized image by
> hand
> > > ( with dcmtk's dcmmodify ). That's the first image of the first series.
> > >
> > > I hope we can find the real problem
> >
> > LOL !
> >
> > This is the best anonymization software I have ever seen, they really
> > hide *all* patient information :)
> >
> > Thanks for the file, I'll check why gdcm 1.2 is reporting it as
> > non-readable, but gdcm 1.3 can read it fine...
> >

> Does the latest version of itk (3.6.0) comes with gdcm 1.2 or 1.3? Updating
> to the latest version of itk solves the problem or may I have to apply some
> patch?
> thanks for your help!

Well it does not crash anymore :)
But your image still cannot be read. There is an issue in gdcm 1.2
when the Image Location (an old ACR tag) is encoded with VR=UN. We'll
try to fix gdcm 1.2 ASAP.

I'll let you know when this is merge in GDCM-ITK.

Thanks again for your time, and data to track down this nasty bug.
--
Mathieu