[Insight-users] how to update the content of an image

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Apr 30 18:42:23 EDT 2008

Hi Bert,

Thanks for posting the details of your code.

Your program can be greatly simplified by using the itk::MaskImageFilter
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1MaskImageFilter.html

You don't need to do the masking on your own.

By using this filter as, now you simply need to have a for-loop
in which the output of the masking is passed as new input to the
customized grayscale reconstruction filter that you created.

The key point inside the loop is to call "DisconnectPipeline"
in that new output, before you pass it as new input to the
grayscaleReconstruction filter.

Your code gets reduced to:
     grayscaleReconstruction->SetKernel( structuringElement );

     typedef itk::MaskImageFilter<
         ImageType, MaskType, ImageType > MaskFilterType;

     MaskFilterType::Pointer maskFilter = MaskFilterType::New();

     grayscaleReconstruction->SetInput( readerMarker->GetOutput() );

     maskFilter->SetInput1( grayscaleReconstruction->GetOutput() );
     maskFilter->SetInput2( readerMask->GetOutput() );

     for (int i =0; i<numberOfIterations; i++)
       {
       maskFilter->Update();
       ImageType::ConstPointer newMarker = maskFilter->GetOutput();
       newMarker->DisconnectPipeline();
       grayscaleReconstruction->SetInput( newMarker );
       }

It will be great if you post this code as a contribution to
the Insight Journal    :-)