[Insight-users] B-Spline Deformable Transform for 3-D point sets

Bing bing.jian at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 00:17:06 EDT 2008

> Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 11:31:26 +0100
> From: Evan Harrell <evan.harrell at wadh.ox.ac.uk>
> Subject: [Insight-users] B-Spline Deformable Transform for 3-D point
>        sets
>

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am trying to register two 3-D point clouds in an ICP framework using a B-
> Spline deformable transform.  I am under the impression that ICP requires
> the
> Levenberg Marquardt Optimizer (not very good with BSplineDeformable because
> it
> takes 8 hours!).  The output parameters I get with the following code are
> all
> 0's and infinities.  Should the BSplineDeformableTransform work for
> registering
> two 3-D point clouds?  If so, where have I gone wrong?

Hi Evan,
    If  you are interested in the nonrigid registration of 3D point sets,
you might
want to take a look at
     http://code.google.com/p/gmmreg/
    where you can find C++, MATLAB and Python implementations of a robust
and fast registration algorithm for both 2D and 3D point sets.  The
thin-plate splines
are used as the transformation model for the nonrigid registration.  The C++
code
is not based on ITK but it does use CMake as building tool and vnl as
numerical
library.

Thanks,
Bing