[Insight-users] Orientation Information

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Aug 27 08:25:26 EDT 2008

Hi Luke,

Please start by looking at the diagrams

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Proposals:Orientation#DICOM_LPS_Orientation_-_Lower_Limb_Graphical_Example

The blue tubes on the right side are representing
the bones in the right leg of a patient.

and
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Proposals:Orientation#DICOM_LPS_Orientation_-_Full_Body_Graphical_Example

The X axis points to the patient's left side
The Y axis points to the patient's back
The Z axis points to the patient's head

This coordinate system is considered to be the base
coordinate system.

Images acquired in this form will have a Direction
Matrix equal to Identity.

Image acquired in a different orientation, will have
a Direction matrix containing the components of the
image axis expressed in term of this base coordinate
system.