[Insight-users] What is 4D image and how is it organized?

namgyun Lee ggang56 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 02:28:58 EDT 2008

Hi ,everyone!!
I am a new ITK user and have a question about image organization.

Without any doubt, I used to think that 4D image was a stack of 3D images,
where each 3D image is volume possessing 3 dimension (x,y,z).
For example, if I have  27 volumes, let say they are 256x256x60 in
dimension, then I thought 4D image would be 256*256*(60*27).

However, as I study more about the ITK, I came across to think that the
definition of 4D image in ITK  might be not equal to what I have been
thinking.
Could anyone explain about this?

I am not sure about what I am thinking, but it seems like 4D image has 3
Dimension (row, column, slice)
and each voxel contains several values equal to the number of volumes (27
different values if I use above 27 different volumes).

Please correct me if I am wrong.
If you know the answer, could you also give me the reference about it?
I am currently reading the ITK software guide, but I have not found any
information about the structure of 4D image yet.

Thank you so much.

Sincerely,
Namgyun Lee