[Insight-users] about registration : Direction of the Transform

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Aug 31 08:56:17 EDT 2008

Hi Sophie,

This is indeed one of the features that tend to confuse ITK users
when they start getting to know the Image Registration Framework.

We actually had to add a section to the ITK Software Guide to
better explain the direction in which the ITK Tranforms are
applied in the context of ImageRegistration.

You will find this discussion in the ITK Software Guide

     http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

in section 8.3 "Features of the Registration Framework" in
pdf-page 356. (paper page 324).

In particular you should read subsection

       8.3.1. "Direction of the Transform Mapping"

in pdf-pages 359-360. along with the diagram in page 358.

This section explains the direction of the transfrom in
detail. The diagram is particularly important.

Please take a look at this section and let us know if you
still have any questions or comments.