[Insight-users] active contour, snake, deformable model and level set segmentation ???

Juliette Deniau juliette.deniau at yahoo.fr
Mon Dec 1 08:10:29 EST 2008

Hi All,
I’m confused about what type of segmentation methods are within itk, in particular the ones related to active contour and level set?
In my understanding, active contour is the same as a deformable model and the same as a snake. The levelset segmentation is another type (use a PDE to evolve the curve).
In itk there are some active contours implemented with the level set framework like the CurvesLevelSetImageFilter, I’m alright?
Can any one tell me what are the segmentation filters which are purely active contour (snake) and those which use level set to evolve the curve?
Sorry if my question is too stupid!
Thanks a lot
Juliette