[Insight-users] Problem with mesh itk:vtkpolydatawriter/reader and itkMeshSourceSphere

zod16 at aol.com zod16 at aol.com
Tue Dec 2 17:44:43 EST 2008

Hello
I am triying to deform an itk::Mesh using itk::DeformableMesh3DFilter and am having a problem.
If I generate my itk::Mesh using itk::SphereMeshSource then the DeformableMesh 3DFilter runs fine.

If I write the mesh generated by itk::SphereMeshSource to vtkPolyData Format using itk::VTKPolyDataWriter and then read it in using itk::VTKPolyDataReader then
??? the DeformableMesh3DFilter throws an exception.? The exception is due to CellDataContainer being a null pointer and the CellData being empty.

If i then try to assign CellData to the itk::Mesh myself by iterating over the number of cells and using ->SetCellData, then
??? at some point in the running of itk::DeformableMesh3DFilter the filter deletes the CellData and the program crashes.?

This will become important for me since i would eventually like to take triangle meshes in .vtk format and use them as input to the itk::DeformableMesh3DFilter.

So my questions are:
??? 1) What is the CellData that is assigned when a mesh is generated using itk::SphereMeshSource?? The documentation states:" More parameters are added to make the sphere mesh have global and local deform ability." but
??? ??  ??  fails to explain what those parameters are and how they are set.

??? 2) Any ideas why the CellData that i manually set is being deleted by the itk::DeformableMesh3DFilter?? Even if i know the answer to 1) and manually set the CellData, it is going to be deleted by the itk::DeformableMesh3DFilter
??? ??  ??  Is there other data or flags being set?

Thank you for all the work on itk and making it freely abailable and Thank you for any help you can give me on this problem
bill