[Insight-users] vtk-itk pipeline : Island removal.

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Dec 5 10:48:55 EST 2008

Hi Raghu,

Thanks for the additional details.

Unfortunately, as you pointed out, the Voting Filters
in ITK are implemented only for binary images.

You could imagine extending the same algorithm to multi-component
images (e.g. RGB) by defining a distance in that space. (e.g. a
distance between the values of two RGB triplets.).

Another option that you may want to explore is to use a
MedianImageFilter on each one of the RGB components of
your image. The Median filter is usually good at removing
salt-and-pepper noise, and when applied iteratively it can
remove structures of larger size.

A couple of questions:

1)  What is the size (in pixels) of the islands
     that you want to remove ?

2)  Is your RGB image the result of running a
     segmentation method ?

   Please let us know,