[Insight-users] threshold parameter in watersehd segmentation

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Dec 10 08:46:22 EST 2008

Hi Juliette,

The Threshold parameter of the watershed filter is expected to be a
number in the range of values of the input image intensities.

This parameters will be used to define the "smallest" intensity change
in the image that will be considered as a water basin. Usually you want
to make this parameter something in the order of 1/100 or 1/1000 of the
water level (this is just a guideline, not a clear cut rule).

If you set the threshold value too low, then the filter will spend a lot
of time processing very small details of the image, that you not
actually care about. Note that if your image has a high level of noise,
you may want to run a smoothing filter on it, before you pass it to the
watershed segmentation filter.