[Insight-users] Re : Re : active contour, snake, deformable model and level set segmentation ???

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Dec 10 14:25:59 EST 2008

Hi Juliette,

Thanks for the additional information about the problem that you are
trying to solve.

LevelSet filters may not be the ideal tool for segmenting objects with
high curvatures. At least not the GeodesicActiveContour nor the Shape
Detection level set implementations.

You may want to give it a try at:

   a) ThresholdSegmentationLevelSet
   b) FastMarchingLevelSet

(a) Will depend strongly on the intensity levels of the input image,
     and therefore will behave close to the Region Growing filters,
     (ConfidenceConnected and ConnectedThreshold).

(b) Will depend strongly on the gradient magnitude of the input image.
     That is, if your input image have well-defined edges around the
     objects of interests (the weapons) then the segmentation will be
     well contained.

     Otherwise, the segmentation will tend to "leak" in regions where
     the edge has low contrast.

If you are doing this from CT images, you probably should try to take
advantage of the fact that the Hounsfiel Units are somehow normalized.
However, presumably, the objects of interest will be surrounded by
objects of great diversity, and it may not be possible to count on
having a good contrast against the background.

I'll suggest you to give it a try to the two filters above, but be
aware that you still will have to fine tune a set of parameters...