[Insight-users] Measuring tumor diameter

Andriy Fedorov fedorov at bwh.harvard.edu
Thu Dec 11 09:56:18 EST 2008

Luis,

I am actually looking for an automatic tool.

The approach I am currently considering is this:

1) go through the axial slices, find the one with the largest area
2) extract that slice contour
3) go through all possible combinations of the contour points, find
the pair of most distant points, and take this as a diameter
4) follow the line between the points in the previous step, and
subtract the parts of the line that are outside the contour (this is
how the tumor measurements are actually taken). This may change the
measured diameter.
5) repeat steps 3 and 4 until the maximum is found after taking into
account diameter parts outside the countour

The problem of course is that this procedure will be quadratic to the
number of contour points, and I am looking for ways to speed this up,
or find an existing implementation, or find a better way to find the
farthest point. I thought about kd-tree to optimize point location,
but I am not sure how to use it for farthest point.

Any comments are welcome

Andriy Fedorov