[Insight-users] Measuring tumor diameter

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Thu Dec 11 14:09:35 EST 2008

Le 11 déc. 08 à 18:18, Andriy Fedorov a écrit :

> Marcus,
>
> I have been thinking along these lines too.
>
> The problem I can see is that the bounding sphere diameter will not be
> the same as the maximum shape diameter. I can understand why the
> method you suggest works in collision detection, but in tumor
> measurement we need precision.
>
> Going back to my counter-examples, if you think of a T-shaped contour
> in 2D, the max diameter will be the length of the longer segment in T.
> If you imagine a sphere with all points inside, its radius will exceed
> the max diameter.... The method you suggest will give some estimate,
> but not *the* maximum diameter.
>
> Fedorov

Hi,

The point 1 can easily be done with the itk::SliceBySliceImageFilter
class (in ITK's Review directory) - http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1SliceBySliceImageFilter.html
  and http://insight-journal.org/browse/publication/133.
You may want to look at http://insight-journal.org/browse/publication/176
  for the point 2 and 3, and more precisely to the FeretDiameter of
the itk::ShapeLabelObject class. The value is computed by
itk::ShapeLabelMapFilter or a class which run it -
itk::BinaryImageToShapeLabelMapFilter or
itk::LabelImageToShapeLabelMapFilter.
The point 4 would require some more work though, as it is not
implemented in that contribution, but it should be quite easily
extended.
I'm much concerned by the point 5, which seems quite difficult to do
in a reasonable time, but time may not be a big constraint for you. If
I understand it well, it mean s counting the pixels on the line for
all the pairs of points on the contour. I'm right?

Regards,

Gaëtan