[Insight-users] Measuring tumor diameter

Celina Imielinska ci42 at columbia.edu
Sun Dec 21 18:06:21 EST 2008

  One has to think about doctors who would be willing to use any measure of
diameter related to a 3D shape of a tumor. Doctors are trained to assess
size of a tumor looking at 2D slices, cross-sections. They don't trust
description of 3D tumor shapes and progression/comparison of tumor shapes
in 3D.  I suggest that you talk to many doctors and find out first what
they really want - not one doctor who would say incidentally that "this is
an interesting problem".

   if you want to provide medicine with a potentially useful tool, ask
first, not necessary impose something that might be good, is logical,
attractive to work on - but it will never be used in practice.

   I always suggest to read this book, by Atul Gawande "Complications: A
Surgeon's Notes on an Inperfect Science". It is definitely worth reading.

    Celina