[Insight-users] Flat structuring element library and other questions

Richard Beare richard.beare at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 17:20:54 EST 2008

Hi,

Gaetan and I didn't test any of the flat structuring element code in
4D. The subset of the flat structuring element code that is included
in the ITK distribution at present depends mostly on neighborhood
iterators and therefore should work on arbitary dimensions, in theory
at least.

The more complete flat structuring element that includes line
decompositions is available from gaetan's darcs repository - see the
InsightJournal articles - should also work in 4D, but only with box
structuring elements.

I'd recommend constructing some artificial 4D images and testing
whether basic erosions and dilations look sensible.

As a fallback you can choose the "Basic" algorithm which gives you the
original itk implementation that I presume works in 4D.

Memory limitations are the usual ones - you'll need to have enough to
keep at least the input and output in RAM, unless you want to go to a
lot of trouble with streaming.