[Insight-users] itkCenteredRigid2DTransform registration optimization problems

Rupert Brooks rupe.brooks at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 17:13:39 EST 2008

Sorry about that last email - i accidentally clicked send long before
i should have

Felix-

I think the problem you are having could be caused by two possibilities.

1. Your image is starting out closer to the flipped solution, meaning
the optimizer will slide downhill to the flipped solution because that
is the bottom of the "valley" in which it starts.  If this is the
case, the optimizer is doing what it should, in some sense, and it
will be hard to tune your way out of this problem with any optimizer.
I suspect that this is what is happening.  However, it may not be that
difficult to solve.

If the correct solution has better cost function values than the wrong
one, then, after the first level of your pyramid, flip the image,
reoptimize and take the best of the two.  (If you have an N-fold
symmetry, you may have to explore each of the N-possibilities.)  In
practice, i have done something like this using the
ExhaustiveOptimizer as a first pass.  However, there was a bug that
got in the way - i believe fixed now - check mantis before you try
using that class, if you do.

If the correct solution actually looks worse than the wrong one, in
terms of cost function values, then you have a very tricky problem.
You'll need to find some sort of bound or regularizer to limit the
search space.

2. The optimizer parameters are poorly tuned or the cost function is
very noisy - I don't think this is the case because if it was, the
problem would probably not be so specific (going to the flipped
position), but would rather show as generally lousy performance
(aborts, trapped in various minima, poor accuracy, etc).   However, if
you think its the scale factors, I'll refer you to MICCAI short paper
of mine about how to set that.  Alternatively, you could try using the
Powell optimizer - i've played with all of the ITK optimizers and i
find that its remarkably robust.  Its slow though, so you might want
to use it only on the top level of your scale pyramid.

Scaling Angles and distances....
http://www.ia.unc.edu/MICCAI2005/ShortPapers/pdfs/paper947.pdf

Cheers,
Rupert B