[Insight-users] ITK Image Coordinates / Problem withPhysicalPoint to Index Conversion

Rupert Brooks rupe.brooks at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 18:23:24 EST 2008

Hi Andreas,

This is an important issue, particularly for anyone attempting to do
subpixel accuracy registration.  I also agree that the coordinate of a
pixel should be the center of that pixel.  This is because I tend to
think of images as sampled signals - ie functions convolved with PSF
and then a comb function - so they dont really have width as such.  If
the coordinate is of the corner, for many reasons that you have
pointed out, it could lead to strange contradictions or shifts in the
effective image position.

I got very curious (afraid?) of what the ramifications of this might
be... did a little looking.

The sticking point is only the TransformPhysicalPointToIndex function
as far as i can see.  Just to see what kind of horrible problems it
would cause if that was changed, i did a quick grep of the ITK 3.4
source code....  This method is really not used much at all - see the
bottom of this email.  It would probably be possible to change it to
conform to the definition.

I took a look to see what the NearestNeighborInterpolator does - it
uses the "ConvertContinuousIndexToNearestIndex" function, which, you
guessed it, rounds.

Here it is (from itkImageFunction.h):

 /** Convert continuous index to nearest index. */
  void ConvertContinuousIndexToNearestIndex( const ContinuousIndexType & cindex,
    IndexType & index ) const
    {
    typedef typename IndexType::IndexValueType ValueType;
    for ( unsigned int j = 0; j < ImageDimension; j++ )
      { index[j] = static_cast<ValueType>( vnl_math_rnd( cindex[j] ) ); }
    }

Its also interesting to note that TransformPhysicalPointToIndex is the
slowest of the World to Image coordinate conversions, at least on
Intel processors, because truncation is remarkably slower than
rounding on those machines.  (See this article for discussion
http://www.mega-nerd.com/FPcast/).  But, this is probably starting to
digress from the original topic.

Cheers,
Rupert B.

Heres the list of files that contain references to TransformPhysicalPointToIndex

sutton:/home/scratch/rbrook/InsightToolkit-CVS/src/Insight/Code> grep
-Rl 'TransformPhysicalPointToIndex' .
./Algorithms/itkBioCellularAggregate.txx
./Algorithms/itkEuclideanDistancePointMetric.txx
./BasicFilters/itkBloxBoundaryPointImageToBloxBoundaryProfileImageFilter.txx
./BasicFilters/itkBloxBoundaryPointToCoreAtomImageFilter.txx
./BasicFilters/itkBloxBoundaryProfileImageToBloxCoreAtomImageFilter.txx
./BasicFilters/itkGradientImageToBloxBoundaryPointImageFilter.txx
./BasicFilters/itkPointSetToImageFilter.txx
./BasicFilters/itkPolylineMask2DImageFilter.txx
./BasicFilters/itkPolylineMaskImageFilter.txx
./BasicFilters/itkWarpMeshFilter.txx
./Common/itkImage.h
./Common/itkImageAdaptor.h
./Common/itkImageTransformHelper.h
./Common/itkOrientedImage.h
./Common/itkPhasedArray3DSpecialCoordinatesImage.h
./Common/itkSpecialCoordinatesImage.h
./Common/itkVectorImage.h
./Numerics/FEM/itkFEMSolver.cxx
./Numerics/Statistics/itkJointDomainImageToListAdaptor.h