[Insight-users] IJ Publication Update...

Hauke Heibel heibel at cs.tum.edu
Wed Jul 2 05:16:22 EDT 2008

Hi there,

I just wanted to advertise our publication once again, since after a
long time it is finally fixed.

While I am writing this e-mail, MIDAS is not yet up to date but you can
find the working code here:
http://insight-journal.org/InsightJournalManager/view_reviews.php?pubid=204

The publication offers a new version of the
itk::FloodFilledFunctionConditionalConstIterator and the
itk::FloodFilledImageFunctionConditionalConstIterator which now allow to
perform fully connected neighborhood iteration (8 connected in 2D and 26
connected in 3D). Our intention was to be able to perform a fully
connected region growing which was not yet possible with ITK since the
itk::RegionGrowingFilter is fixed to 4er (2D) and 6er (3D) connectivity.

Unfortunately, since we are now using the
itk::ShapedNeighborhoodIterator as our basis for the new iterators we
have measured a relatively high abstraction penalty (20% slower as
opposed to the low level implementation). Our code for performing this
measurement is also included in the publication as well as three examples.

Any feedback is highly welcome!

Finally I'ld like to thank Zack and Julien for their support.

Regards,
Hauke

--
Tim Hauke Heibel
Computer Aided Medical Procedures (CAMP)