[Insight-users] Image Registration

Maureen Haining mfhaining at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 13:18:16 EDT 2008

Hello All,

I am looking for some advice with regards to the following:

I have a 3D geometric "canonical" model of the cerebellum of a mouse in 3DS
format. I also have 2D image slice data containing gene expression data and
boundary tracings of the cerebellum (embryonic stages). I would like to
register these slices to the model. I have read the software development
guide and numerous internet postings regarding itk. I am still somewhat
unclear about the best strategy for this problem using itk. My initial
thoughts are that itkSpatialObjects would support the 3D model and that
perhaps applying an affine transform to register the slices to the model
would work. Am I correct in thinking that the Model to Image algorithms
would deform the model to fit the actual data?

1. Can you recommend a good overall strategy to accomplish this task?
2. Is there a similar problem in the Insight Applications I might use as a
reference?
3. Can you recommend any other good references for this type of problem?
4. In itk vernacular does it matter which, the model or the image data, is
the fixed image versus the moving image?

Thanks for any "insight" you can provide!
Maureen